Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Just Wonderful...

And tell me again why these states can't store their own filth?

"EnergySolutions Wins Big with Stimulus Contracts"

I realize that EnergySolutions is out in the middle of nowhere Utah, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's safe or ok. If Oklahoma and the likes want to create nuclear waste, they should keep it. Just because our neck of the woods could be considered "ugly" , that should not be a good enough reason for waste disposal. Utah was one of the fastest growing states last year, which means that in all likelihood, this area will one day be inhabited.

But the only time Utah citizens think about their children is when it comes to gay rights and re-redistricting schools. Seeing into the future is not a gift most in this great state of Deseret possess.

And no thanks to Obama either on this one. WHERE IS THE PROTEST, PEOPLE?



On a funnier note, my favorite [New Zealand] professor, Sir John Pirker of Biology shed new light on the recycling of paper. We didn't get through his whole section (we have four different profs in this class) so he demonstrated what we should do with the last page of notes: rip it off, crumple it up and throw it away.

"It's not wasteful," he told us, "it's all carbon! If we recycle it, we won't have to plant as many trees! And what do trees do? They suck up carbon! So throw it in the dump and in 20 years (ok more like 200 million) it will turn into coal!"

Sadly, today was his last lecture. So far, two out of three profs in that class have been great. I've never been so interested in biology. It really shows that the professor makes all of the difference (last semester, I didn't go to over 70% of my bio classes because my professor was so incompetent, thanks NEU!).

But I don't enjoy the switching up. I finally get used to the style of one, and next thing I know a new lecturer is in front of class making things confusing as all hell. That's what you get for going to school in a different country, I suppose. The American university system is entirely different from pretty much the rest of the world's. We're in the minority on that one, but I like it so much better.

There's so much I can say on that topic, but alas, I have class to attend (yay for structural geology!). So adios, mis amigos y amores!

No comments:

Post a Comment